Shielded metal arc welding of heavy-duty structures such as ships, buildings, and machinery made of mild steel. For all-position welding of heavy-duty structures.
Characteristics on usage
- B-17 is an ilmenite type covered electrode, which is designed for better weld ability in particular.
- As its crack resistibility, porosity resistibility and X-ray soundness are excellent among ilmenite type electrodes, structural steels with heavy sections up to 20mm cab be welded with B-17.
- B-17 has been used in the various fields due to its higher reliability since 1942 when it was developed.
Notes on usage
- Pay attention not to exceed the range of proper currents. Welding with excessive current not only lower X-ray soundness, but also causes increase of spatter, undercut and insufficient slag covering.
- Dry the electrodes at 70-100° C for 30-60 minutes before use. Excessive moisture absorption lower usability and may result in some porosities.
- Excessive drying before use causes less penetration and overheating of the electrode.
- Medium or heavy thick plate should be welded under proper preheating and interpass temperature.